Thursday, September 10, 2009

Evangel vs Rakim

You probably thinking who the heck is Evangel and what nerve does he have going up against probably the GOAT? I found out about both songs while on a thread on the HolyCulture.net forum.

Rakim, a pioneer in the art of emceeing, originally recorded a track called “ Holy Are You“. Rakim used this song to boast about his lyrical skills and greatness as a rapper. Most listeners might would ask, okay what else is new… isn’t that every rap song?

As a fan of hip hop music and a card carrying member of The Peoples Coalition for the Preservation of Hip Hop (copyright pending) I found my self divided at first. Thanks to my Uncle Hank I was introduced to Eric B & Rakim at an early age. So I grew up listening to Ra’ and would memorize the lyrics to a lot of his songs. I even studied his rhyme scheme and incorporated it in my lyrics w hen I grew older and began to rhyme myself.

However as a Christian you begin to see (and hear) things differently. So I completely understand the need for Evangel’s response. Chalk one up for Evangel in the W column!!!!!



2 comments:

  1. It's not a WIN untill Evangel goes back and rewrites the song in line with what Rakim was actually saying in the song. He is obviously unfamilar with Rakim's spiritual beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to go back and listen to them both fam. Rakim is clearly a five percenter. Anyone who has listened to him for any length of time is aware of that. In Evangel's lyrics he addresses all the errors with Ra's song. Just read the lyrics.

    ReplyDelete