Sunday, November 1, 2009

Mixtape of the Month: Knine - Robots Have Feelings Too

Artist Name: Knine
Mixtape Title: Robots Have Feelings Too



Brief Summary: I really wasn't sure what to think when I first heard of this mixtape. I honestly wasn't too optimistic when I saw the title or the artwork. Don’t get me wrong, the artwork is impressive but it just isn’t what I’m accustomed to see for a mixtape. I expected a backpacker/abstract type of album with random references to Jesus if any. Think Kanye West meets MF Doom. I downloaded it anyway and ignored my pessimism. My boy Yung Lion had mentioned Knine to me so I thought I would give him a chance just on strength. I downloaded the free mixtape and dropped it into my phone (I am the only person in the world without an iPod) and clicked random. I was unenthused to hear the first track that played which was “Boom Boom Pow.” I was just about to write off Knine but decided to give him another chance even though I had already convinced myself of the inevitable. I was amazed, impressed, shocked and in awe that this dude (Knine) had the audacity to spit over Biggie. First off this took me back to the days when I was an avid hip hop fan and second, not just anyone can spit over a Biggie beat. I mean B.I. is considered one of the greatest and has set the bar when it comes to lyricism. However Knine held his own and spit an impressive rendition of “The Ten Commandments.” I was convinced of Knine’s skills after that. All the songs on the mixtape (except for “Boom”) were bangers. I was impressed with K’s selection of beats and his ability to display his lyrical skills without compromising doctrine. My personal favorite was Everyday featuring Kameron. This is one of the illest freestyles I have heard in a long time. Robots have Feelings Too is a solid mixtape and definitely a must have for all hip hop fans! This just might be the best mixtape of the year.

Website: http://kninemusic.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment